Skip to main content

Gutentag !!!

Well that's Good Morning translated to in German :) But this post is titled as :
Guten'tag' = Gutenberg + Tag

MaDaN a fellow student of NITIE, tagged my blog with the Book Tag-MEME. The chain came thus (I tired to trackback it)
Thomas Luongo -> Knappster -> Ken -> Kevin Carson -> BradSpangler -> Yazad -> Nanopolitan -> SilentEloquence -> Pramod -> Madan -> Me!!!

Guess the significance of 'tag' is clear - but what about Gutenberg?? Well this Tag is about Books - a concept that could never have become a mass audience subject but for printing technology. Gutenberg was the inventor of the printing press and hence the father of knowledge management - the Gutenberg Press and Gutenberg Bible are the most celebrated terms in history of Books. A perfect obituary to Gutenberg is the Project Gutenberg which aims to digitize, archive, and distribute cultural literature works.

Enough about the title - lets get on with the post!!.

Total Number of Books I Own:
In Print its a meager 27 - but I am avid online reader; have a collection of more than 150 eBooks. Further I am in a habit of borrowing books from friends, library etc - most books I purchase in print are those which I have already read and found worth archiving.

Last Book I Bought:
Deception Point and Digital Fortress by Dan Brown - purchased on recommendation of a friend - haven't found time to open any one of them yet. Also purchased Jefferey Archer's 'As the Crow Flies' on the same day. This is my favourite fiction and the first novel I had read.

Last Book I Read:
'Not a Penny less, Not a penny More' - by Jefferey Archer (Soft copy)
'Wings Of Fire' - by APJ Abdul Kalam (In print)

Five Books That Mean a Lot to Me:
1. The Third Wave - by Alvin Toffler
2. The Goal - by Eliyahu M Goldratt
3. Wings of Fire - by APJ Abdul Kalam
4. The Foutainhead - by Ayn Rand
5. As the Crow Flies - by Jefferey Archer

There are other books I like -
'Who says Elephants can't Dance' (Lou Gerstner)
'Only The Paranoids Survive' (Andy Grove)
'Future Shock', 'Powershift' (from the same trilogy as Third Wave)
'Bharatiya Itihasaat Saat Swarnim Paane': a rare historical review written by Veer Savarkar in Marathi. This book is a bit fundamentalist in its approach yet it is probably the most fair and impartial review I have read about Indian history. It covers India's journey from the times of Chanakya to 1857 freedom struggle.

My unfinished book:
'My Experiments with Truth' by Mahatma Gandhi

Tag five people and have them do this on their blogs:
hmmm... tuf job .. 'coz it has to be people who read a lot ... and do public blogging
1. Shubham is an obvious choice
2. Next is gonna be Manish Chauhan ....
?. Then . . . oh no! Madan has already tagged GWBE :(
3. Oh yea .. Ganesh goes in next . . .
4. Abhishek Khetan - not an avid blogger but a voracious reader for sure
5. Arul Prakash - a new fangled blogger :)))

PS: And anyone in the above tagged don't wanna be tagged - mail back

Comments

  1. Nevermind Nikhil. I will go ahead with the book tag. You have read a lot of stuff. And we some common interest as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't read Digital Fortress. It's a bad attempt for pace.

    And at one point, you have by mistake written "John Grisham's 'As the Crow Flies' " :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. voracious reader and me!!!
    :D (i don't really agree with you)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. could not understand this concept of TAGs at all... explain in normal english please....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How will travel industry transform post-Covid

Unlike philosophers, journalists and teenagers, the world of entrepreneurship does not permit the luxury of gazing into a crystal ball to predict the future. An entrepreneur’s world is instead made of MVPs (Minimum Viable Product), A/B Tests, launching products, features or services and gauging / measuring their reception in the market to arrive at verifiable truths which can drive the business forward. Which is why I have never written about my musings or hypothesis about travel industry – we usually either seek customer feedback or launch an MVPised version and gather market feedback. However, with Covid-19 travel bans across the globe, the industry is currently stuck – while a lot of industry reports and journalistic conjectures are out, there’s no definitive answer to the way forward. Besides there is no way to test your hypothesis since even the traveller does not know what they will do when skies open. So, I decided to don my blogger hat and take the luxury of crystal gazing

A Guide to Privacy on Social Media [apps]

The recent announcement by WhatsApp to update its privacy terms - and 'accept or leave the app' stance - led to an exodus of users from Whastapp to competing, privacy-conscious apps such as Telegram or Signal. A week after the exodus began, Whatsapp clarified its stance - and WhatsApp's CEO went about providing a long Twitter clarification . And then, many returned, many who considered moving stayed put on Whatsapp. This post is meant for those who are still sitting on the fence - it clarifies questions like: What is this all about? What do I do? Is Whatsapp safe? I've heard Telegram is Russian - so how is it safer than Whatsapp? I can't move because my business contacts are on Whastapp - how do I secure myself? PS: I've modeled this post based on several conversations I've had with friends and family on this subject, dealing with the chain of questions they ask, then objections they raise, then clarifications they seek - and finally the change resistance

Ekla Chalo re

Watched "Bose- The forgotten Hero" on Saturday. Gem of a movie and probably the best of Shyam Benegal. Subhash Chandra Bose has always been an inspiring character in the history for the youth. This post however is not about the movie, its about the lead song 'Tanha Rahee' which is based on the poem 'Ekla Chalo Re' by Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore. I had pasted the English translation of this poem on my blog earlier. http://the-complete-man.blogspot.com/2004/12/tsunami-times_30.html However, yesterday I found the original bengali text of the poem and found that the meaning in the above translation was not exact. So I have endeavourer (with the help of Shubham ) to re-translate it into English and Hindi by myself. Here is the output of my work: Bengali Jodi Tor Dak Soone Keu Na Asse Tobe Ekla Chalo re Ekla Chalo Ekla Chalo Ekla Chalore Jodi Keu Katha Na Kai Ore Ore O Abhaga Jodi Sabai Thake Mukh Firae Sabai Kare Bhay Tabe Paran Khule O Tui Mukh Fute Tor Maner Kath