Skip to main content

Gandhi and contemporaries. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Gandhi has been my philosophical preoccupation almost for the past
2 months. It started when I borrowed the book “My experiments with truth” from Aurko during my holidays. And it reached a high when I visited the Gandhi Ashram at Sabarmati on 30th June. I also had a chance to watch a video of the play ‘Mi Nathuraam Godse Boltoye’ based on the assassination of Gandhi while I was in the first few pages of the book. The sharp contrast to Gandhi’s personality and their philosophy was very interesting to observe.
Even Nathuram Godse was a freedom fighter but he was against partition of the nation – and considered Gandhi responsible for it. His philosophy was that if creation of Pakistan is not opposed, many new factions might emerge in the nation later. A dialogue of the play goes like this- “Today Muslim’s have asked for a new state, tomorrow Sikhs might ask for one, and imagine if each of the Hindu factions ask for a state; this nation will be fragmented to every inch.” What comes out is the fact that Nathuram was not a Hindu fanatic but a person who recognized the malice of partition. One of Gandhi’s post partition remarks (which I copied from a plaque at the Gandhi Ashram) might be relevant here – “The partition has come in spite of me. It has hurt me. But it is the way in which the partition has come has hurt me even more. I have pledged myself to do or die in an attempt to put down the present conflagration. I love all mankind as I love my own countrymen, because God dwells in the heart of every human being, and I aspire to realize the highest in life through service of humanity. It is true that non-violence that we practiced was the non-violence of the weak, i.e. no non-violence at all. But I maintain that this was not what I presented to my countrymen. Nor did I present to them the weapon of non-violence because they were weak or disarmed or without military training, but because my study of history has taught me that hatred and violence used however noble a cause only breed their kind and instead of bringing peace only jeopardize it.”
 Some of you might think that I am trying to ridicule Gandhi; no way! Though I have been a antagonist of Gandhian principles at a point of time, I do consider Gandhi as one of the greatest leaders of India.
In fact while reading the book – “My experiments with truth” we realize that Gandhi unlike other leaders of that time was not born with a great ideology. He was a moderate lawyer and an ordinary human being till he transformed himself; a feat that few people can manage. At the same time one also realizes that ‘self-proclaimed-guilt’ is the very root of Gandhian philosophy. Few of his ideas have emerged from the sense of pride in oneself and his country. There are repeated mentions about how unclean and uncivilized life Indians live. Some chapters of the book are named as “….my double shame”. There are 2 conclusions that I have drawn from the above:
It was his self-imposed-guilt which made Gandhi a great man. In the words of Louis Fischer –“Gandhi’s idea of a democracy was that he took the misdeeds and faults of others as a reproach to himself; he had not done enough to improve them.”
Though Gandhian principles were most apt and suited to lead a nation under an oppressive rule and mired in poverty; they cannot be suitable for a modern India. The new Indians ought to take pride in their existence; their culture and heritage.

Anyway, these are just my personal views and even I am pondering over my actual standpoint on them - I might change them in future.....but all said and done .... Gandhi was great leader..and a man of a great character.... He deserves the respect of the whole world and so be it ....

I was planning to post this entry since a long time. In fact it has stayed on my desktop in an unformed state for about 15 days now. Finally, today when I picked up the book to continue reading it after a long break, I felt lost. So I have decided to pause ‘my’ experiments with truth for the time being and pick it up at a later date. Thus this posts marks the end of a sopaan.

Comments

  1. Great Post Bosss...
    U really have a penchant for writings....

    Manish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for sharing this
    this is a great post

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How will travel industry transform post-Covid

Unlike philosophers, journalists and teenagers, the world of entrepreneurship does not permit the luxury of gazing into a crystal ball to predict the future. An entrepreneur’s world is instead made of MVPs (Minimum Viable Product), A/B Tests, launching products, features or services and gauging / measuring their reception in the market to arrive at verifiable truths which can drive the business forward. Which is why I have never written about my musings or hypothesis about travel industry – we usually either seek customer feedback or launch an MVPised version and gather market feedback. However, with Covid-19 travel bans across the globe, the industry is currently stuck – while a lot of industry reports and journalistic conjectures are out, there’s no definitive answer to the way forward. Besides there is no way to test your hypothesis since even the traveller does not know what they will do when skies open. So, I decided to don my blogger hat and take the luxury of crystal gazing

A Guide to Privacy on Social Media [apps]

The recent announcement by WhatsApp to update its privacy terms - and 'accept or leave the app' stance - led to an exodus of users from Whastapp to competing, privacy-conscious apps such as Telegram or Signal. A week after the exodus began, Whatsapp clarified its stance - and WhatsApp's CEO went about providing a long Twitter clarification . And then, many returned, many who considered moving stayed put on Whatsapp. This post is meant for those who are still sitting on the fence - it clarifies questions like: What is this all about? What do I do? Is Whatsapp safe? I've heard Telegram is Russian - so how is it safer than Whatsapp? I can't move because my business contacts are on Whastapp - how do I secure myself? PS: I've modeled this post based on several conversations I've had with friends and family on this subject, dealing with the chain of questions they ask, then objections they raise, then clarifications they seek - and finally the change resistance

Ekla Chalo re

Watched "Bose- The forgotten Hero" on Saturday. Gem of a movie and probably the best of Shyam Benegal. Subhash Chandra Bose has always been an inspiring character in the history for the youth. This post however is not about the movie, its about the lead song 'Tanha Rahee' which is based on the poem 'Ekla Chalo Re' by Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore. I had pasted the English translation of this poem on my blog earlier. http://the-complete-man.blogspot.com/2004/12/tsunami-times_30.html However, yesterday I found the original bengali text of the poem and found that the meaning in the above translation was not exact. So I have endeavourer (with the help of Shubham ) to re-translate it into English and Hindi by myself. Here is the output of my work: Bengali Jodi Tor Dak Soone Keu Na Asse Tobe Ekla Chalo re Ekla Chalo Ekla Chalo Ekla Chalore Jodi Keu Katha Na Kai Ore Ore O Abhaga Jodi Sabai Thake Mukh Firae Sabai Kare Bhay Tabe Paran Khule O Tui Mukh Fute Tor Maner Kath